KPNV

in glob we blog

Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Music

Hmm yea... New sounds? Lots of new stuff by familiar people. And some by unfamiliar people as well.

Doves - Some Cities
My album of the month. Black & White Town is just a stomping single. Read the review in Life! I expected a lot outta this one, cos the review said it was good. Plus, I was rather disappointed by their b-sides album, Lost Sides, which had a couple of decent tracks. The Last Broadcast and Lost Souls were two amazing albums. I really love their grooving, driving, guitar wrung, atmospheric sound. Some Cities actually took me about 3 days before I finally settled in the delicious sound. When I first heard it, it didn't seem quite right. Its like one of those getting used to a new album/sound things. Takes little bit of time to appreciate.

Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood
Listening to it now. First track was pretty Manic. Heard the single, Empty Souls, at Topshop the other day. Loved that little piano riff. So far its been pretty good. Sounds a lot easier on the ears than a few other Manics' albums. I remember This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours being rather soppy at times, although I still kinda liked it. This album seems more melodic and less punky, angry like the Manics of old. Its more like a Dovesy Manics. Haha.

Damien Rice - O
Watching Closer the other day, I finally heard The Blower's Daughter. Can't believe I didn't actually download Damien Rice earlier. One of the most heartfelt songs I'd heard in a while. Just so earnest and pure. The opening lines just came out from the darkness and the entire hall just shut up, as a gentle voice came on... This album has got to be worth it for just the one song alone.

Stereophonics - Language, Sex, Violence, Other?
OK. I caught Dakota off MTV. Thought it was kinda nice so got SoulSeek on and got the album. It turned out alright. Might need to give it a bit of time. Dunno. I like Rewind as well. Put that on my ! playlist.

The Killers - Hot Fuss
I'd seen these guys on MTV for so long, I finally decided to download it. At first I thought they were just another band. And turns out... They are! Haha. Well They're just another good band. I always saw Somebody Told Me but the track I really like is Mr. Brightside. Not entirely hype. Some good hooks in there. A kinda monotonous driving sound, that relies on little sparks of emotion and lovely guitar riffs. Overall, something nice to nod your head to.

The Music - Welcome To The North
On AXN, there was this ad, praising 3 albums. One of them was this one. They sound a bit like The Rapture, but not electronic. Or maybe like a whiny UK band. Which they are. Its alright overall but doesn't hold my attention for too long just quite right now. Maybe I need to just leave it on my playlist more. Hmm yea now I think of it, I think they sound a bit like Delays. Which are probably chirpier. Something in between maybe.

The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia
This was another album from that AXN ad. So anyway, I kinda liked their debut, So Much For The City. They were a whiff of fresh air at the time. This time round, Bohemia doesn't have the same feel. I think its a bit too countryish for now. Again, might need some time on this, largely because I've downloaded lots of new stuff. I do like Not For All The Love In The World.

Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
I took so long to get this. I really like Sunday Morning. Its also rather unique to have a bluesey R&B kinda rock band around. They sound different for now at least. So its good variety. Its still decent. But, I don't see them anywhere being the new Stones. I can sing Sunday Morning pretty well! Wahaha! I think the video had karaoke in it too!

The Chemical Brothers - Push The Button
Woo, its been a while since I got any electronic stuff. And The first one I got was by a big name. Back in 1997, I was posed the question as to what was my favourite band at the time. My answer was The Chems. Because Dig Your Own Hole and Exit Planet Dust were blowing me away with a brilliant new sound. After that incident, I got tagged as "the guy who listens to The Chemical Brothers". Whatever that meant. So anyway, Push The Button now feels a bit tired. Maybe because I'm used to their sound, even if they introduce an almost Basement Jaxxish, electroclash/dancey feel to it. Still good and interesting.

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
In SoulSeek, everybody downloads the same stuff, so that just gets shared around a lot. Everytime I browsed through someone's stuff, I'd see Death Cab. With a name like that I always thought they were some gross metal band. I should've analysed the entire name, Death Cab For Cutie. Now I think about it, it sounds like an emo band. Which they are, in a sense. They sound like Dntel but more guitarsy. I got this after seeing it on MTV. (No, I don't get all my music tips from that channel) Nice, sad stuff. Lotsa words. Its like a whole story to every song that could be a 5000 word literature essay by an American emo-kid.

Kanye West - The College Dropout
I don't have too much hip-hop. And I don't know too much about the scene either. So I largely get whatever I think sounds good. This is for me, my favourite hip-hop album in ages. Its not like your average 50 cent record about some bitch/ho/bling/wheels/insert material item but a funny story, with cool, subdued, kinda radio clarity beats. Retroish yet modern, it just feels very trendy. I realise that thats also largely because Kanye has produced a lot of people's stuff in recent times. It also gave me an excuse to have a Twista song! Slow Jamz!

So yea lotsa new music. Most of it is pretty good. Nothing I would put in the top ten albums of all time but... Still its alright. I just got a new iTrip! Which has worked wonders for my hair and the car. Now I can drive and tune into my own station. Plus, I don't have to wear headphones while driving to hear my favourite tunes and re style my hair when taking them off. (I look less like a poser when driving. Had too many people staring at me.) Oh yea and there's a brilliant new station in Singapore. Its been around for a while. LUSH 99.5. Any station that plays Kings Of Convenience has got to be a good station. 70% of the time, they play nameless chill out stuff. It usually sounds like lesser clones of Thievery Corporation but with some other euro bandname. The rest of the time, they play good stuff. Like Kings, Rae & Christian etc. Its all good. I would probably never be bored with my iPod but its a great alternative and for times when my iPod isn't around. Great for background stuff as well. So yea there's also this pretty cool looking MP3 player by Norway Says, the Mica by Asono. If I'd seen this before I got the iPod, I would've wanted this. Largely because its just unique. Even if it only has 1Gb compared to my 40Gb now and 30+ Gb music warehouse. (I still have many CDs I haven't ripped)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home