KPNV

in glob we blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

After Akira


Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt Posted by Hello
Lotsa new films out and the 3 I really want to watch are all Jap cartoons. Howl's in the cinema on thursday. *crosses fingers* Hunn said he'd burn me a copy of Ghost In The Shell 2. Which leaves Steamboy. Akira creator, Katsuhiro Otomo's latest work.
My mom's old boss was a pretty cool guy. He was also responsible for the really gaudy Golden Village cinemas. But he used to have some pretty cool stuff lying around his office. As a kid, I used to go to my mom's old offices (there were several, they kept moving) all the time. There, I'd rummage through everything! Hehe, from playing a TRON like game on a Mac, to finding those calendars with the near naked girls to this book about some show where its like some super punk/gothic thing where everyone is in some kinda hell and this guy had nails sticking out his head. On retrospect, that was a pretty cool childhood spent alone without any friends huh?
Anyway, among the rubble of exotica, I remember fragments of super cool looking robots. Which later turned out to be the robot vehicles in Akira. And that was my intriguing introduction to Katsuhiro Otomo's legendary work. My mother later acquired all 6 books of the manga while I remember borrowing the laserdisc from my cousin and also downloading the show off kazaa or something like that.
Akira was pretty fucking good. Which makes Steamboy a big deal. It has to come close to that standard. Probably my most anticipated film since 2046.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home