KPNV

in glob we blog

Sunday, March 13, 2005

My Favourite People

I like designer stuff. Most of my friends don't get design. They just think its styling or making something look good. They're so fucking wrong. Its to make things look great.

Here are some of my favourite design related people.

My favourite designer for a long time was Marc Newson. I just love his colors, style and fun. Some of my favourite designs by this guy include a pair of jeans for G Star, a handphone for au, several chairs and interiors.

A Japanese guy I like is Naoto Fukasawa. My 19" NEC monitor was designed by him. He also made that super cool MUJI CD player and has a really nice range of stuff with plusminuszero.

Tobias Wong I just read about in FRAME 42. He's a gay guy from NY who's not a designer per se but also a joker, artist and funny guy. He first sold plastic bags filled with air called dreams for a dollar each. He made Burberry buttons which were later picked up and produced by Burberry themselves. He called them up and they actually asked if he minded that they stole his idea, which was actually originally stolen from them. But his silver pills just takes the cake for me. Pure silver passes through the body entirely so it will just get excreted. So eating silver pills just gives you shiny shit.

My fave frenchies are Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec. They have a lovely clean feel and make, functional, elegant objects. I lurve that case folder/bag that is on sale at Takashimaya. Joyn is also a lovely system for an office. Yea if I had to have an office table, it'd be a Joyn.

Another set of brothers that I like come from Brazil. Land of samba, football and fantastic meat buffets, its also home to Fernando and Humberto Campana. They don't have a website so that's just a link to mossonline which sells some of their chairs. I just love how their stuff just feels like handmade and individual, like the Corallo and Favela chairs. Its just gritty, real, not computerised but sculpted by hand.

Everyone probably knows the iMac, G5, iPod, Shuffle etc. Most people don't know that Jonathan Ive had a lot to do with resurrecting Apple. This guy was a genius for making the iPod alone. But he and his design team also made a whole lot of other stuff as well, reviving a company that nearly died. They may not make the most original or innovative products but they make very well designed products and despite absurd prices, they are market leaders in the MP3 player market. There's incredible attention to detail for every product that comes out. They don't just look good on the outside.

There's lots more people out there as well. Karim Rashid, Norway Says, Eero Saarinen, Arne Jacobsen, Mies Van Der Rohe, Le Corbusier... but I only picked my current faves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home